In 1902 there was a group of 10-12 people who wanted a Christian Church in Carrollton. They were meeting in the Vandergriff Building in downtown Carrollton and decided that if a church was to be started they needed to be organized. On April 23, 1903, Mr. E.M. Halsell organized what is now First Christian Church of Carrollton. Services were held in the middle section of the Vandergriff Building for two years. In 1905 a large one room, frame building was put up by the members on Elm between 5th and 6th Streets at the cost of $600. Baptismal celebrations were held at a nearby creek.
The first minister, Will Merrill, was paid $10/month to come in one Sunday per month. For his first six months he preached without pay. During this time, the church was served by many of the T.C.U. Student Ministers. The church grew slowly to a membership of 50 in 1913, at which time a new church was needed.
The previous building was completed in 1916, the lot was donated by Mr. & Mrs. Davis. The cost of the new building was $2,850. Many methods were used to raise the money to pay for the church.
- Mr. JC Davis, who owned a cotton field, offered all the cotton the members could pick in a day which ended up being 3 bales. A piano was purchased with the "cotton money".
- The pews were paid for by selling hamburgers on the Square each Saturday.
- Oyster dinners and ice cream suppers were also held to raise money.
From the early years of the depression to the year of 1953, the church had many minister changes and there was a parsonage purchased for the minister to reside in as well as a building for Sunday school classes. By the year of 1953 the church had grown to an average attendance of 238. Again the church outgrew its facilities and the congregation voted to move elsewhere. Five acres of land located off Walnut Street at Josey Lane were purchased from Mrs. Pearl Gravley for $12,500. An additional strip between the property and Walnut Street was also purchased for $500 and a donation of land to the city was also made to widen Walnut Avenue at some point.
December 30, 1956 was the Ground breaking date for the temporary sanctuary and the educational wing of the facility. The first service was held in the new building on April 14, 1957 and the dedication ceremony was held on May 19, 1957 with the President of TCU Dr. M.E. Sadler preaching the dedicatory address. The buildings at the old location were sold to the First Baptist Church in June 1957. A second educational wing to the building was completed in December 1958.
A Building Fund Campaign was conducted in early 1966 with the goal of raising $65,000 over a three year period to build a sanctuary. With the help of the campaign and through the sale of church bonds there was $175,000 raised. By May 18, 1969 the first worship service was held in the newly built sanctuary.
Over the next 40 years FCC Carrollton has been a constant in the community. Active in many outreach programs such as Metrocrest Social Services Food Pantry, Shoes 4 Souls, offering the use of our building to Revival Church (Korean Congregation) and other organizations during each year. In Nov. 2019, we united with First Christian Church of Lewisville and became First Christian Church United. Welcoming those who need a church home as if they are long lost family members. As the heritage and legacy continues in this place, we invite you to come and be a part of our family.